Tuesday 25 March 2008

pippy longstockings

In the window was a large jar of freckle salve, and beside the jar was a sign which read: DO YOU SUFFER FROM FRECKLES?

“What does the sign say?” asked Pippi. She couldn’t read very well because she didn’t want to go to school as other children did.


“It says, ‘Do you suffer from freckles?’” Annika said.


“Does it indeed?” said Pippi thoughtfully. “Well, a civil question deserves a civil answer. Let’s go in.”

She opened the door and entered the shop, closely followed by Tommy and Annika.

An elderly lady stood back of the counter. Pippi went right up to her.


“No!” she said decidedly.


“What is it you want?” asked the lady.

“No,” said Pippi once more.

“I don’t understand what you mean,” said the lady.

“No, I don’t suffer from freckles,” said Pippi.
Then the lady understood but she took one look at Pippi and burst out, “But, my dear child, your whole face is covered with freckles!”

“I know it,” said Pippi, “but I don’t suffer from them. I love them. Good morning.”

No comments: